Canada’s largest community of sustainable food professionals, job seekers and volunteers. Work with sustainable farms, gardens, food businesses, restaurants, nonprofits, volunteering … local / organic / natural foods …
Fresh Roots – Youth Empowerment Manager
Fresh Roots’ Youth Empowerment Pillar
What You’ll Do
Help Current Programs Thrive
Grow and Expand Our Programs
How to Apply
Greater Vancouver Food Bank
Greater Vancouver Food Bank – Kitchen Cleaner
This is a permanent part-time position, 20 hours per month, with flexible hours between Monday – Friday, 9:00AM – 5:00PM. Two hours of each month is to attend the GVFB all staff meeting and in the month of June, there is a one additional day paid to participate in the GVFBS all staff team building field trip.
The key responsibility, is to maintain the core cleanliness of the upstairs staff / training kitchen and the boardroom, staff and volunteer area fridges.
More specifically, this role includes:
- To clean, bleach and reorganize when necessary, all appliances, cupboards, drawers, cutlery, cutting boards, countertops, tables and sinks thoroughly.
- To clean and maintain order of the recycling and composting processes in the kitchen area.
- To inform the Community Development Coordinator of any broken or malfunctioning equipment, tools or appliances noticed during cleaning session.
- To restock kitchen with cleaning supplies, paper towels, saran wrap, coffee supplies and regular teas, etc., when low.
- To discard kitchen garbage and take out compost.
- To compost or discard any items that have gone off in the three refrigerators.
- To complete a bi-weekly maintenance routine to the dishwasher.
- May need to sit and stand as needed.
- May require walking primarily on a level surface and climbing stairs throughout the day.
- Knows proper lifting techniques to lift up to 50 lbs. when required.
- Organizational skills a must.
- Appreciation for order.
- Attention to cleanliness and detail.
- Ability to take direction and work independently.
- Food Safe Level One certification required.
Please submit your cover letter and resume in one Word document and email to HR@foodbank.bc.ca using the position title in the subject line.
Glorious Organics Co-operative Farm – Farm hands
Location: Aldergove B.C
Valley. We are a community co-operative farm existing on Fraser Common Farm and running
Glorious Organics on the land. There are many members of our farm consisting of folks of all
ages and skill set who are not necessarily farmers as we are also a housing co-operative. We
are seeking 4 full-time persons to farm with us beginning in the April-May 2016 season until the
end of October.
Work will include:
-weeding by hand or hand tools
-cleaning, sorting and packing vegetables
-filling restaurant orders
-cleaning eggs/chicken coops
-field record keeping
-Greenhouse maintenance and pruning
The work can be physically demanding (bending and lifting), and repetitive (weeding and
transplanting). Being physically fit is a must. Work will be performed in all kinds of weather,
outside as well as in poly greenhouses. We are looking for people who are willing to learn, can
work efficiently and quickly and independently after being trained.
We sell at 3 farmers markets, (Trout lake, Kitslano, and White Rock) run a 80 member CSA and sell much of our products to restaurants in the Vancouver area. We grow salad greens. flowers, herbs, fruit, all sorts of veggies and save much of our own seeds. We are a founding member of BC ECO SEEDS co-operative and sell many of our seeds through this co-op as well as having their office based on our farm.
We have some housing available on farm. Rent being $400.00 a month with all utilities included,
even internet. Pay is 11.35hr to start plus 4% vacation pay ( Plus farm produce ) with about
40hrs a week available the beginning of the season and moving into about 50 hrs a week in the
heat of the season. If your’e interested in the position please don’t hesitate to contact us at
email@example.com attention Mark, David or Donna. We are looking for in face
interviews only. If you cannot come and speak with us about the position in person please do
not apply. As we are a co-operative sharing land with others we must meet you in order to have
you live and work with us.
FARM WORKER, SALTSPRING ISLAND
We are looking for a full time, permanent employee to join our farm team. The position is for 32 hours per week, from March through November, with a holiday period December-February (although part time work is available during this period). There are affordable, on-site, living opportunities if that is suitable for a prospective employee. The wage for this job is $15/hour.
Our dream is to bring someone on who is interested in farming as a career path and would like to make Salt Spring Island their home for the next few years. The successful candidate will be mentored by the owner-operators, however previous farming experience is required. Despite the fact that this is a paid job and not a communal work/life situation, we recognize that there is still an aspect of community interconnectedness to the experience. As a result, our philosophy with employees is to invest in their goals and dreams equally as they invest in ours.
We began farming because we believe it makes a considerable difference to the health of our planet and because food is the first step to the health of our fellow humans. We also simply enjoy growing food and flowers; being outside in our beautiful garden and combining creativity and artistry to overcome challenges and slowly fill in the canvas of our farm. We strive to grow nutrient dense food and make it as accessible as possible. Our onsite farm store is a big part of our service and we offer a variety of staple ingredients (such as nuts and grains) at bulk prices, to complement the produce and flowers that we grow.
The nuts and bolts of our project are as follows:
- 1.5 acre market garden, with mixed vegetables, berries, and cut-flowers
- All produce sold through our onsite farm store, which is open on Saturdays year round. We also hope to open on a second day this summer.
- Flowers are sold through the farm store, wholesaled off island, and used for local weddings and events.
- Garden is not certified organic but we employ organic practices such as cover cropping, reduced tillage, reduced plastic use, certified organic compost and amendments, organic seeds, and crop rotation.
- Various animals are integrated into our system, including pigs, ducks, and goats.
The ideal employee will have the following skills:
- Self motivated. Able to work alone or alongside senior and junior farm staff. Interest and ability to direct others as season progresses.
- Good judgement. Makes decisions independently or ask for advice, depending on the situation.
- Follows written and oral instructions effectively and correctly.
- Demonstrates an awareness of the big picture, both in attitude and in execution of tasks.
- Considerate, positive, honest, and has a good sense of humour!
- Passionate about farming, local food, ecology, food accessibility, community, and being in the outdoors.
- Comfortable working at a fast pace, with attention to detail, in wet/cold/hot weather.
- At least one season of previous farming experience is required.
We look forward to hearing from you! Please send a resume and cover letter to Claire:
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.
Giddy Up and Grow
Are you in love with farming but not the challenges of seasons or weather? Do you want to live where home prices are a tad more affordable than the bustling city of Vancouver? Do you love the Fraser Valley and all it has to offer: biking, boating, fishing, skiing, camping, great food and lots of open space?
Giddy Up & Grow is a year-round operation located in an industrial warehouse in beautiful Mission, BC. We harvest and deliver crops twice weekly to several large grocery retailers and juice bars in a diesel powered, refrigerated Sprinter van. Our growing method uses vertical growing technology, ie racks and lights. Our growing method is organic, sustainable and reliable.
- Production: We have a well-developed production system allowing for year-round growing of shoots and wheatgrass
- Social Media Presence: Giddy Up has established and active networks on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, as well as a website.
- Solid Customer Base: …and growing.
Giddy Up & Grow is seeking a motivated person(s) and take over ownership of the business. Farming experience is not necessary as training will be provided. Or add this business to your current farming business and expand into year-round growing. The warehouse is great for starting seedlings and the refrigerated truck keeps your produce nice and cool.
If you are interested please email us firstname.lastname@example.org telling us a little about yourself and why this opportunity appeals to you.
Small organic veggie gardening business in Vancouver is looking for an on-call helper/ gardener (or a person with gardening experience), helping out on an hourly basis with the perspective for more work during the summer months. Building of raised beds, soil moving, seeding, planting, maintenance of vegetable gardens. $15-$20/h depending on experience. Driver’s licence is required.
Info – email@example.com
Sky Harvest is Canada’s first certified organic, urban farm. Our work transforms the urban landscape, improves access to healthy produce and provides a place of community, education and work for local residents. Our current focus is growing microgreens and delivering them by bicycle to Vancouver’s top chefs and grocery stores. We are looking for candidates with a strong sense of social and environmental responsibility, interested in joining our team of dedicated employees and volunteers whose unique talents shape Sky Harvest’s development.
Our day-to-day activities are driven by three core values:
· Lead by example: Providing a strong example of corporate social responsibility in business
· Inspire and assist: Spur the adoption of sustainability principles into others’ operations whenever feasible
· Innovate: Use innovation to move society towards sustainability and thrive-ability
Bike Delivery & Microgreen Farm Assistant Contract Position (Part-time)
· Delivery (by bicycle) of our microgreens to our fine chefs. We have a unique trailer system that is compatible with most bikes
· Active participation in harvesting is also a key component of this position
· Strong cycling skills are a must
· Interest in urban agriculture activities and passionate about sustainability and local food systems
· Fun and easygoing personality
· Ability to work quickly, pay attention to small details and carry on a conversation simultaneously
· Exhibits reliability and commitment to our organization
· Must be able to perform physical labour on a daily basis
· The candidate must have their own bike and be very comfortable pulling a small delivery trailer as well.
· Ability to perform bike deliveries of our products in all weather conditions. (Remember Vancouver experiences lots of rain!)
· Farming, gardening or experience working with your hands considered an asset
· 1 Part-time Contract position available (16-30 hours weekly for 6 months minimum with the hopes someone will stay with us for the long-term). Mandatory work days are Wednesdays & Fridays (both positions) with additional days available.
· Start time: Mid or end of June (interviewing immediately)
· Pay: Starting pay is $12.65/hr + weekly microgreens AND end of contract bonus $1/hr retroactive pay
· Opportunity to move up within the company as we continue to grow & expand
· Position is located in Richmond BC, and is a 7 minute bike ride from Bridgeport Skytrain Station
To be considered for this position you must fill our Bike Delivery application found HERE. Please submit an introduction of yourself and why you would think you could be a good fit with us, a resume and any questions you may have about us or the position to: