Canada’s largest community of sustainable food professionals, job seekers and volunteers. Work with sustainable farms, gardens, food businesses, restaurants, nonprofits, volunteering … local / organic / natural foods ..
Cook and Program Assistant; Food Programs – kiwassa Neighborhood house
Kiwassa Neighbourhood House is a multi-service community agency operating in East Vancouver, with a mission to cultivate opportunities with people and partners to build a socially just, resilient, and connected community. Kiwassa’s commitment to healthy, sustainable food for all and dignified food security strategies is central to many of our programs. We are seeking a full-time cook and program assistant for our Food Programs.
You have both passion and skill for creating delicious snacks and meals suitable for young pre-school children, hungry after school students, seniors, and more. You are comfortable working in a community setting were everyone from diverse walks of life are welcome. Your years of cooking experience are complimented by your love of teaching others what you know about recipes, nutrition, and tricks in the kitchen. Your organizational skills to track deliveries, food orders and invoicing help keep the food team on track!
- Prepare nutritious meals and snacks for our various children’s programs, weekly seniors’ lunch, as well as other events and functions.
- Work cooperatively with the Food Program Coordinator to adapt snacks or meals as necessary to meet the program participants changing dietary needs.
- Able to follow recipes while also comfortable to prepare common dishes based on changing and available produce and pantry items
- Conduct accurate inventory of items needed for menu preparation. Maintain inventory of kitchen equipment and tools and ensure their upkeep.
- Place and receive food orders, including food rescue and donations.
- Able to work independently to complete the above tasks as well as part of a team to orient,train, direct, supervise, and evaluate program volunteers and staff.
- Aware of up to date food and health standards and ensure they are maintained in regards tofood preparation and storage.
- Maintain clean work area compliant with Food Safe requirements and model appropriate foodsafe practices for volunteers and ensure they are adhered to in the kitchen.
- Collaborate in running food related workshops and demonstrations, community food markets,and other special events.
- Ability to organize tasks and prioritize duties so that deadlines are met and work is completed in the available time.
- Assist with Kiwassa Neighbourhood House activities and perform other related duties as required.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Completed apprenticeship in Professional Cooks program preferred, or equivalent experience.
- Food Safe Level 2 preferred, Level 1 accepted.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in food handling, including preparation of food, menu planning, and inventory control.
- Valid First Aid and WHIMS are an asset
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team, strong interpersonal, organizational, leadership, and communication skills
- Experience working with a diversity of community members (at-risk families, new immigrants, Indigenous populations, children and/or seniors, volunteers).
- Understanding of local food security issues.
- Familiar / comfortable preparing dishes from various cultures.
- Ability to speak a second language an asset.
- Clear criminal record check.COMPENSATION: This is a full-time position for 35 hours a week that pays $20/hour + excellent benefits packageTo be considered for this position, please email your resume and cover letter by 5 p.m. Friday, September 27, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org ATTENTION: Cook and Program Assistant; Food ProgramsWe thank all applicants for their interest. However, only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
The 2020 UBC Farm Practicum in Sustainable Agriculture is now accepting applications!
The UBC Farm Practicum can be taken as either a seven-month (April – October), or as a five-month (April – August), experiential-learning program. The program is part-time (approximately 20 hours per week), and is designed for aspiring farmers, urban gardeners, environmental educators, and students with an interest in applying their learning about sustainable agriculture and food systems. The program is often taken as a non-credit Certificate program; however, 6-9 academic credits are available for interested students.
Participants gain a deeper understanding of agricultural management and small-scale farming, and a network of incredible people to support them along the way. The main approach to learning within the program is hands-on practice. Participants carry out seasonal farming activities with leadership provided by UBC Farm staff in the greenhouses, gardens, fields, orchards, and at our farmers’ markets. In addition, the program includes numerous guest speakers, field trips to various farming operations within the province, and access to a plot at the UBC Farm for individual and shared production.
The UBC Farm is a 24-hectare gem, the largest urban farm in Vancouver, British Columbia, and situated on a site with numerous research, educational, and community outreach activities.
Please see the UBC Farm Practicum website for detailed information and access to the online application:
All applications received by September 24th will be considered for Early Admission. All applications for the Regular Deadline pool are due by October 27th. Please note: To enroll in the Practicum program, you do NOT have to be a UBC student or post-secondary student.
A Practicum Open House will occur on September 14th, 12 pm – 2 pm. We will provide a forum to ask questions, meet current practicum students, and receive a tour of the site. No registration is needed.
indigenous youth employment program
Sky Harvest – farm administrator
Farm Administrator (Full-time year round)
Sky Harvest is Canada’s first certified organic, urban farm. Our work transforms the urban landscape, improves
access to healthy produce and provides a place of community, education and work for local residents. Our current focus is growing microgreens and delivering them by bicycle to Vancouver’s top chefs and grocery stores. We are looking for candidates with a strong sense of social and environmental responsibility, interested in joining our team of dedicated employees and volunteers whose unique talents shape Sky Harvest’s development.
Our day-to-day activities are driven by three core values:
• Lead by example: Providing a strong example of corporate social responsibility in business
• Inspire and assist: Spur the adoption of sustainability principles into others’ operations whenever feasible
• Innovate: Use innovation to move society towards sustainability and thrive-ability
• Administer and coordinate weekly orders from 75+ restaurants while also cultivating these relationships
• Increasing customer base (sales)
• Managing staff on a daily basis
• Assisting with hiring and training of new staff
• Weekly bookkeeping/accounting, inventory management and ordering supplies
• Active participation in farming tasks as needed (you will get dirty!)
• Interest in urban agriculture activities and passionate about sustainability and local food systems
• Fun and easygoing personality
• Ability to work quickly, pay attention to small details and carry on a conversation simultaneously
• Exhibits reliability and commitment to our organization
• Familiarity with sales is an asset
• Experience Managing staff is a requirement
• Proficiency with bookkeeping software and practices is a requirement
• Farming, gardening or experience working with your hands considered an asset
• 1 full time position available ~40-45 hours weekly. Mostly Monday-Friday, though the occasional weekend is
• Start time: interviewing immediately
• $34-38,000/year starting pay range based on experience + Health Benefits & Hot yoga membership & Weekly
• Position is located in Richmond BC, and is a 7 minute bike ride from Bridgeport Skytrain Station
To be considered for this position please submit an
1) introduction of yourself
2) clearly describe your experience
for each listed qualification from above,
3) a resume and any questions you may have about us or the position to:
Quest food exchange Jobs
- Warehouse Drivers
Greater Vancouver Food Bank