Canada’s largest community of sustainable food professionals, job seekers and volunteers. Work with sustainable farms, gardens, food businesses, restaurants, nonprofits, volunteering … local / organic / natural foods …
An award winning non-profit social enterprise and registered charity, the mission of Potluck Café Society is to transform lives by creating jobs with on-the-job training for people facing barriers to traditional employment and improving access to healthy food for people living in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside (DTES).
Potluck was founded in 2001 to help end the cycle of poverty in the Downtown Eastside community and address the needs of its most nutritionally vulnerable residents through solutions that promote employment and nutrition. Potluck works to create an inclusive and healthy neighbourhood through grassroots community economic development.
Potluck Café Society owns and operates Potluck Café & Catering to earn revenue to support our community programs and to provide employment opportunities in the Downtown Eastside. Fundraising, donations and grants comprise the balance of our funding requirements. Potluck is widely regarded as a social enterprise leader in Vancouver and abroad. Learn more about Potluck at potluckcatering.org and facebook.com/potluckcafe
We are seeking a driven, innovative and highly entrepreneurial Executive Director to provide strong leadership to our team of over 30 staff, and to take our organization to the next level. As Executive Director, together with an effective management team, you will manage an annual operating budget of $1.3M, split between dedicated resources to sustain and lead Potluck Café Society’s innovative community programs, and the remainder to oversee Potluck Café and Catering Inc.’s business operations.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Bring fresh and entrepreneurial vision and ideas across the organization to increase both business and mission impact
- Ensure Potluck Café and Catering supports the mandate of the Potluck Café Society
- Oversee day-to-day operations of Potluck Café Society and management of Potluck Café and Catering
- Ensure financial sustainability of the organization
- Ensure mission impact of the organization in both the Society and the Catering business
- Drive revenue generation, fundraising and fund development
- Hire, train, and lead staff and volunteers
- Build strong collaborative working relationships with internal and external stakeholders – employees, board members, partners, funders, and other organizations
- Act as the primary spokesperson and face of the organization
- In conjunction with the Board, ensure the integrity of the Society’s charitable mandate and actively participate in strategic and long-term planning for Potluck
- Hands-on leader with a minimum of 5 to 8 years non-profit or charity leadership experience, preferably in social enterprise
- Interest in food security, creating employment for people facing barriers, and in the well-being of the existing DTES community
- Entrepreneurial with social enterprise or community economic development experience (or both) an asset
- Demonstrated knowledge of all facets of operating businesses and non-profits
- Demonstrated experience in building community impact programs
- Post-secondary qualification in business administration or equivalent combination of skills and experience, MBA is an asset
- Strong communication skills
- Fund development experience
- Collaborative with the ability to develop and maintain effective relationships
- Knowledge of community, political and socioeconomic issues, especially those affecting the DTES and Indigenous peoples.
Position: Executive Director Reporting to: Potluck Café Society Board of Directors Compensation: $70K to $85K (depending on experience and fit) plus Benefits To apply: Please submit your Cover Letter & Resume to Potluck ED Search Committee. Potluck will continue to recruit for this position until we find a suitable candidate for our organization. We thank you for your interest. We will acknowledge all applications. Interviews will be conducted during the recruitment period
VCH COMMUNITY INVESTMENTS
Our Community Investments team here at VCH is currently looking for 2 new staff and I’m hoping you might be able to help us share these external postings for a Contract Administrator and Community Grants Coordinator, especially to anyone you think might be interested and a good fit.
- Community Investments Contract Administrator (Regular Full-Time)
- Looking for a full-time Community Investments Contract Administrator (a financial and administrative coordinating role) for our grant programs. Looking for a blend of organizational, financial and community relations/communications talents – ideally also with community organization experience and sensibilities (either on a professional or volunteer basis). Must have a diploma in Financial Management, Business or Not-for-Profit Administration, Fundraising/Fund Development and/or related field, and 3 years’ recent, related experience.
- Community Grants Coordinator (Regular Part-Time)
- Looking for a part-time (3 days a week equivalent) Community Grants Coordinator. Looking in particular for skill and experience in participatory community-based planning, outcome-based project evaluation, program sustainability, policy development and research analysis. Organizational capacity building knowledge and experience also a definite asset. Must have a Master’s Degree in a related field, and 3 years’ recent, related experience in development within the non-profit sector.
BREAKFAST PROGRAM ASSISTANT
Strathcona Community Centre Association Job Posting: Breakfast Program Assistant. Since the 1990’s, the Strathcona Community Centre has been providing a hot Breakfast Program for children who attend Lord Strathcona Elementary School. Each day we serve roughly 120 breakfasts to school aged children, their younger siblings and caregivers and provide a safe, happy and healthy place for them to start their day. We also mentor grade 6 and 7 students who volunteer with the Breakfast Program while learning food, teamwork and leadership skills.
We are seeking an Assistant for the Breakfast Program who will support the Breakfast Coordinator. Suitable applicants are at least 18 years of age, strong leaders, energetic and enjoy working in an organized but busy team teaching environment.
Key responsibilities of the position include:
- Mentoring the Breakfast Buddies, grade 6 and 7 students who volunteer with the Breakfast
Program. The Breakfast Assistant will coordinate, lead and teach the Breakfast Buddies and also organize guest visits, skill development and field trip opportunities for them.
- Assisting the Breakfast Coordinator in ordering, storing, preparing and serving food and supporting with clean-up.
- Maintaining a food safe environment at all times.
- Potential for program supervision duties, if suitable.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Ability to work well with children (e.g. Breakfast Buddies & participants), as well as adults
- Passion for food and food preparation experience
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and think quickly
- Leadership, organization and good communication skills
- Experience working with culturally diverse populations
- Familiarity with Strathcona Neighbourhood
- Awareness of food justice issues
- Strong time management skills
- Ability to follow direction as well as take initiative
- Food Safe Level 1 certification or willing to obtain
- Ability to speak Cantonese is an asset, but not required
This position will start in mid-September 2017 with 10 hours per week during school days. Example hours are 8-11am on Monday and Friday, 11am-1pm on Tuesday and Thursday. Possibility of future additional hours and roles. $15.30/hour plus 4% in lieu of vacation.
To apply, send you resume to email@example.com by Monday September 4, 2017.
DTES KITCHEN TABLES OPERATIONS COORDINATOR AND DELIVERY DRIVER
Hours of Work: Part Time – 2 days/wk (split between 2 mornings & 2 afternoons) Wage: $17/hr More Info: dteskitchentables.org and potluckcatering.org About Potluck & the DTES Kitchen Tables Project Potluck is an award winning social enterprise operating in the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver. The DTES Kitchen Tables Project, a program of the Potluck Cafe Society is improving the health of DTES residents by increasing the availability and choice of nutritious food across the neighbourhood while creating jobs in the community. Based on a Right to Food philosophy, the project is a collaboration of multiple stakeholders including residents, food providers and growers/suppliers to create a sustainable DTES food system. One of our key initiative is the DTES Kitchen Tables Food Procurement Group, which coordinates shared nutritional goals, food purchasing and deliveries amongst its customers located in the DTES. A related goal is increasing the procurement of local and regional food by these customers as well. The Opportunity The role of DTES Kitchen Tables Operations Coordinator and Delivery Driver is a 100% hands on, innovative and rewarding opportunity. As Operations Coordinator and Delivery Driver you will use your exceptional time management and customer service skills to ensure food orders are delivered on time to our customers. You are detail oriented with the coordination skills to ensure food orders are accurate. Working closely with the DTES Kitchen Tables Project Manager and in collaboration with diverse DTES organizations, you will contribute to changing the DTES Food System. Success in this role will be achieved by: • An independent, flexible and entrepreneurial person who thrives on challenge • Exceptional people and customer service skills • Delivery experience (valid license and driving abstract required), including use of scheduling and routing software to manage deliveries efficiently • Experience with inventory management software to receive orders and manage inventory levels • Ability to work within a budget and time constraints • Genuine interest in the wellbeing and long term sustainability of the Downtown Eastside community and working alongside people of all backgrounds and lived experiences • Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office – Outlook and Excel
To apply, please submit your Cover Letter and Resume via EMAIL to:
Dounia Saeme, DTES Kitchen Tables Project Manager
We thank you for your interest however only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.
Potluck and the DTES Kitchen Tables Project acknowledge and honour the fact that our
community lies within the Traditional Territory of the Coast Salish people.
Small organic veggie gardening business in Vancouver is looking for an on-call helper/ gardener (or a person with gardening experience), helping out on an hourly basis with the perspective for more work during the summer months. Building of raised beds, soil moving, seeding, planting, maintenance of vegetable gardens. $15-$20/h depending on experience. Driver’s licence is required.
Info – firstname.lastname@example.org
BIKE DELIVERY AND MICROGREEN FARM ASSISTANT
Sky Harvest is Canada’s first certified organic, urban farm. Our work transforms the urban landscape, improves access to healthy produce and provides a place of community, education and work for local residents. Our current focus is growing microgreens and delivering them by bicycle to Vancouver’s top chefs and grocery stores. We are looking for candidates with a strong sense of social and environmental responsibility, interested in joining our team of dedicated employees and volunteers whose unique talents shape Sky Harvest’s development.
Our day-to-day activities are driven by three core values:
· Lead by example: Providing a strong example of corporate social responsibility in business · Inspire and assist: Spur the adoption of sustainability principles into others’ operations whenever feasible · Innovate: Use innovation to move society towards sustainability and thrive-ability
· Delivery (by bicycle) of our microgreens to our fine chefs. We have a unique trailer system that is compatible with most bikes · Active participation in harvesting is also a key component of this position
· Strong cycling skills are a must · Interest in urban agriculture activities and passionate about sustainability and local food systems · Fun and easygoing personality · Ability to work quickly, pay attention to small details and carry on a conversation simultaneously · Exhibits reliability and commitment to our organization · Must be able to perform physical labour on a daily basis · The candidate must have their own bike and be very comfortable pulling a small delivery trailer as well. · Ability to perform bike deliveries of our products in all weather conditions. (Remember Vancouver experiences lots of rain!) · Farming, gardening or experience working with your hands considered an asset
· 1 Part-time & 1 full-time Contract position available (16-35 hours weekly for 6 months minimum with the hopes someone will stay with us for the long-term). Mandatory work days are Wednesdays & Fridays (both positions) with the full time position having additional days including alternating weekend shifts. · Start time: Mid-July (interviewing immediately) · Pay: Starting pay is $12/hr + weekly microgreens AND end of contract bonus $.50/hr retroactive pay & HIVE climbing pass · Opportunity to move up within the company as we continue to grow & expand
To be considered for this position you must fill our Bike Delivery application found HERE. Please submit an introduction of yourself and why you would think you could be a good fit with us, a resume and any questions you may have about us or the position to:
Position- Work Exchange/ Practicum student
Sky Harvest is looking for 2 volunteers to pitch in during harvest, which takes place every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Interested applicants can assist either or any mornings in exchange for microgreens.
Volunteer tasks would include (listed in priority):
- Helping to clean our space and equipment
- Getting your hands dirty, literally…we are soil-based growers
- Preparing trays for planting
- Mixing soils
- Conducting some planting
- General labour and projects ie. Building growing shelves
Please submit an introduction of yourself, why you think you would be a good fit with us, a resume and any questions you may have about us or the position to: