Community Rally & March
April 9th, 2013
Starts out front of the
Welfare Office – 2350 Commercial Drive (@ 7th)
March to an MLA’s office
our right to buy our own food
END LEGISLATED FOOD-POVERTY
Bus tickets are available for the first 20 people to meet us at the Downtown Eastside Neighbourhood House by 9:30 AM at the latest.
Members of the Downtown Eastside community have gathered together and met over the last few months dating back to January 2013. We have found that the food proportions provide inequalities to the low-income population with little dignity. The process to distribute community foods with past expiration dates is still occurring within large food charitable groups. This is not being practiced by upholding the Regulation of Food safety laws and policies.
Canada is signatory to the international Human Right to Food, yet the province of British Columbia legislates housing and income measures that directly contravene this human right. According to the Dieticians of Canada, it takes over 60$ of income for an individual to purchase food for an adequate diet per week. Yet, welfare rates amount to less than half this, and families on low-wages struggle to provide this too.
Charities are unable to help provide for the needs of those dealing with various issues of social injustice. Exchanges of real life experiences and research were shared among group members. We’ve found the results through observations with stories being told on the treatment of low-income individuals. We believe that charity groups do have good intentions but majority of the community members are not accessing adequate and proper nutritional foods.
Neighbourhood Action Food Group wants to see changes when dealing with local community residence members facing hardships in SROs (Single Residence Occupancy) with bad cooking facilities or not even a refrigerator. Most people have visible or hidden disabilities which can causes their weakened immune systems to shut down when they are not able to obtain adequate nutrition’s.
Collective Actions we want to see;
• Advocate for higher wages, welfare & disability rates in order to eat and live with dignity.
• Lobbying for food equality & education.
• More affordable food Stores.
• Stop gentrifying the community with fancy restaurants & condos.
• SRO’S should have proper regulations on Cooking facilities and kitchen.
• Create more community gardens/rooftop gardens within the community.
• More Community Kitchens in SRO’S for people are in isolation.
• We need to address dietary supplements and sensitivity.
• Challenge all food providers to step up to provide good quality foods.
• Food charities line-up continues to be revolving doors like an assembling line. (Even in poor weather conditions).
One thought on “WAGES – WELFARE – DISABILITY WITHOUT FOOD – POVERTY”
What i don’t understood is in fact how you are no longer actually a lot more neatly-favored than you may be right now. You’re so intelligent.
You recognize thus considerably in terms of this matter,
made me in my opinion consider it from so many various angles.
Its like men and women don’t seem to be interested until it is something to do with Girl gaga! Your own stuffs nice. At all times handle it up!